Iligan City had its beginnings in the village of Bayug, four (4) kilometers north of the present Poblacion. It was the earliest pre-Spanish settlement of native sea dwellers. The monotony of indigenous life in the territory was broken when in the later part of the 16th century, the inhabitants were subdued by the Visayan migrants from the island kingdom of Panglao. In the accounts of Jesuit historian Francisco Combes, the Mollucan King of Ternate invaded Panglao. This caused Panglaons to flee in large numbers to Dapitan, Zamboanga del Norte. In Dapitan, the surviving Prince of Panglao Pagbuaya, received Legazpi's expedition in 1565. Later, Pagbuaya's son Manook was baptized Pedro Manuel Manook. The Christianized Manook subdued the Higaunon village in Bayug and established it as one of the earliest Christian settlements in the country. The settlement survived other raids from other enemies, and, because of their faith in God and in their patron saint, Saint Michael the Archangel, the early Iliganons moved their settlement from Bayug to Iligan. The name Iligan is from the Higaonon word iligan or ilijan' meaning "fortress of defense" against frequent attacks by pirates and other hostile Mindanao tribes.
A stone fort called Fort St. Francis Xavier was built in 1642 where Iliganons sought refuge during raids by bandits. But again, the fort sank due to floods. Another fort was built and this was named Fort Victoria or Cota de Iligan. In 1850, because of floods, Don Remigio Cabili, then Iligan's governadorcillo, built another fort and moved the poblacion of the old Iligan located at the mouth of Tubod River west of the old market to its present site. Iligan was already a town of the once undivided Misamis Province in 1832. However, it did not have an independent religious administration because it was part of Cagayan de Oro, the provincial capital. It was one of the biggest municipalities of Misamis Province. In 1903, the Moro Province was created. Iligan, because of its Moro residents was taken away from the Misamis Province. Then Iligan became the capital of the Lanao District and seat of the government where the American officials lived and held office. Later in 1907 the capital of the Lanao District was transferred to Dansalan.
The Spaniards abandoned Iligan in 1899, paving the way for the landing of the American forces in 1900. In 1914, under the restructuring of Moroland after the end of the Moro Province (1903–1913), Iligan became a municipality composed of eight barrios together with the municipal district of Mandulog. After enjoying peace and prosperity for about 40 years, Iligan was invaded by Japanese forces in 1942. The liberation in Iligan by the Philippine Commonwealth forces attacked by the Japanese held sway in the city until 1944 to 1945 when the war ended. On November 15, 1944, the city held a Commonwealth Day parade to celebrate the end of Japanese atrocities and occupation.
Using the same territorial definition as a municipality, Iligan became a chartered city of Lanao del Norte on June 16, 1950. It was declared a first class city in 1969 and was reclassified as First Class City "A" on July 1, 1977 by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 465. In 1983, Iligan was again reclassified as a highly urbanized city.
Iligan City is a highly urbanized city 795 kilometers southeast of metro Manila. Iligan is located in the Northeastern part of Mindanao. It is the second largest city next to Cagayan De Oro in Region X (10). It is bounded by Iligan Bay to the west, Misamis Oriental to the north, Bukidnon to the east and Lanao del Norte to the south. It covers an area of no less than 813.37 square kilometers composing 44 barangays, with type C climate characterized by short, low sun dry season for one to three months. Rainfall is evenly distributed throughout the year. It is located outside the typhoon belt, relatively an earthquake free zone. it has a population of 273,004 in 1995 census and projected in 1996 to have 283,378.
There are several waterfalls in Iligan City. Maria Cristina Falls is probably the most famous of Iligan's attractions, it is sometimes referred to as "twin falls" because the water is split in two by a large rock at the brink of the 320 feet drop. Other waterfalls are Mimbalut falls, 20 minutes away from the city, Limunsudan Falls, 54 kilometers away from the city proper, Abaga Waterfalls, 15 kilometers from the city, Dalipuga Falls, 12 kilometers from the city, Dodiongan Falls, 14.5 kilometers from the city, Gata falls 28 kilometers from the city, Guimbalolan Falls, 29 kilometers rom the city, Hindang Falls, 14 kilometers from the city, Kalisaon Falls, 16 kilometers fron the city, kamadahan falls, 26 kilometers from the city and Kibalaug falls, 31 kilometers from the city.
The fastest and most convenient way to get to Iligan would be to take a plane to Cagayan de Oro City and take the rest of the 87 kilometers of the one and a half hour drive to Iligan. As there are regular flights to Cagayan de Oro daily from Manila, Cebu and Davao, major inter-island shipping lines also connect Iligan from other major cities of the Philippines such as Manila, Cebu, Bacolod and Iloilo with 2 to 3 times weekly schedule to Manila via Bacolod / Iloilo / Ozamiz and 2 times weekly to Cebu.
The pride of this city is the natural, none-chlorinated cold spring pools of 5 resorts of Timoga Cold Spring Pools where thousands of local and international tourists visit during summer
Official Website: www.iligan.gov.ph/
Iligan City had its beginnings in the village of Bayug, four (4) kilometers north of the present Poblacion. It was the earliest pre-Spanish settlement of native sea dwellers. The monotony of indigenous life in the territory was broken when in the later part of the 16th century, the inhabitants were subdued by the Visayan migrants from the island kingdom of Panglao. In the accounts of Jesuit historian Francisco Combes, the Mollucan King of Ternate invaded Panglao. This caused Panglaons to flee in large numbers to Dapitan, Zamboanga del Norte. In Dapitan, the surviving Prince of Panglao Pagbuaya, received Legazpi's expedition in 1565. Later, Pagbuaya's son Manook was baptized Pedro...